Thursday, August 16, 2012

Grind Time

When I was a little girl, I couldn't wait to be grown. To me, being grown signified having your stuff together, being independent, etc. Back then, I never thought I'd be where I am now: 26, working two jobs (but barely making it), living with the 'rents, 3 going on 4 postbac degree attempts, a little extra poundage, and no love interest in sight (at least not one of my choosing). But I'm not getting down on myself because, 1) my underachievement is not just a personal thing, it's a generational thing. So my lack of success can be blamed on the times I live in and economy and, 2) at least I have a job, and two of the them to boot. So what if I need two jobs just to equal one fairly decent salary? *Sighs*

Despite these small blessings, and 4 almost 5 months of occupational bliss, I need a new gig. Not two jobs I picked up in desperation to pay my car note, and fund a nonrefundable trip to the UK, but a "real" job a.k.a career, replete with health insurance, dental, paid vacay, and if I'm lucky, tuition reimbursement.

And I don't know which one is the lesser of two evils, a boss where I have to wonder if I'm getting paid on time, or a call-center where my coworkers watch my whereabouts with the keenness of a vulture about to devour it's last meal (e.g. how does your key work at this hour? who told you you were allowed to park in that spot?).

Tomorrow, I will have been 26 for a whole month, and I have not made any steps to get my life together. I have 11 months, to change my perspective, and from there my life. By 27, I will be:

Skinnier
Moving into my own place
Closer to finishing my master's (finally!)
Working towards a career, and not just a job

It's been said that you have to speak your dreams into existence, and rather than sit by and let another year pass me, I'm going to make the things I dream about happen.

2 comments:

  1. I love this! This is me all the way! Reading this was like me you telling a story about me! Continue to blog so so can continue to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Katt!! I'm glad you enjoyed it. Going to try blogging more, but it gets hectic with work and everything.

    ReplyDelete